Sunday, July 11, 2010

Slouchy beret; not on my big head

 
Let me just get this disclaimer out of the way now; I hate wearing hats. Winter hat, sun hats; you name it, I don't like wearing it. Maybe I just don't have the right head for hats. It's a little on the big side and on top of that I have a ton of thick hair. (Not that I'm complaining about the thick hair part. I'm really quite thankful for that because ever since I had my baby it's been falling out like a waterfall and if I had thinner hair I would be bald by now. But I digress.) I've never been a fan. But when you live somewhere with actual seasons, i.e. freezing cold in the winter, you really must put your irrational hatred of hats aside and put something warm upon your head.

It is in situations such as this that it is extremely helpful to be a crafty person who isn't afraid to try to teach yourself something new. I had never crocheted a hat with texture using more than a single chain stitch.

But when I found this book the hat on the cover looked so pretty I knew I had to try to make it. I had some lovely jade heather wool lying around that I had been trying to find a project for.

This particular hat is called the Slouchy Beret. The pattern says the finished circumference is 21" and since my noggin measures at 25" I knew I had to try to make my hat a little bigger. I am not an expert crocheter by any stretch of the imagination. As you can see above, I did not manage to increase my pattern enough to retain the slouchy aspect, but I love it anyway. I really do! It kept me warm all winter long, didn't squeeze or pinch in any way, and was in a lovely color. Since I had just had my baby, I wasn't in the mood for traipsing around town in an ugly winter hat; I wanted at least one part of me to look good (and not just the part carrying my adorable son).


The ribbing was extremely easy to crochet. The directions were easy to follow, just like I like 'em.


It's a little hard to see here, but I really like the little nubbies that make up alternating rows of the hat. The texture makes it a little more distinct from all the winter beanies you see everyone wearing.


Even though there's no slouching here, this hat is definitely a winner. I have some of the yarn left and I'm itching to make a matching scarf for this winter. And maybe some mittens. So if you're nervous about trying to crochet your own winter hat go ahead and give it a go. Maybe you'll be happily surprised with your results too.

This project is also posted on my Ravelry page (as Sordidsox). I'm so excited that the designer of the hat, The Crochet Dude Drew Emborsky, recently posted my picture on the pattern page as one of the samples. You've got to feel good when the designer thinks you've done his pattern justice. (The Crochet Dude does not know that I'm blogging about his pattern or Ravelry, or anything. I'm just really happy with the final product.)

1 comment:

susiekline said...

I really like this hat! Usually I know, but this makes me want to dig our the crochet hooks at go to it!

I really like the color of the yarn you chose.

I'm glad I found your site!