Saturday, July 24, 2010

Knit teddy bears


What's more classic than a couple of hand-knit teddy bears? I feel like every child needs one, or two. These bears were the first project I ever knitted that wasn't just made up of straight knitted lines (i.e., a scarf). That's the wonderful things about the internet; you can find tons of videos to help you learn the stitches you aren't familiar with.

The pattern is free from Berroco yarn and can be found here. The yarn suggested is dry clean only, so needless to say, I didn't use it for a baby project. Can you imagine having to dry clean your baby's toys? I don't think so. I used an acrylic yarn so that I can toss them in the washer and dryer whenever I need to. They have both been successfully washed and dried several times.


I kind of like the affect created by the yarn with the lighter color being on the head. The larger bear is about 14" tall and the smaller one is about 8". I used a smaller gauge yarn and appropriately sized needles for the smaller bear but I still followed the pattern exactly the same.


I embroidered all the features on my bears so they are completely baby safe.

Cute bear muzzle
Adorable round bear bottom   




I hope you'll try your hand at making a child you love a little bear of his own. I am by no means a skilled knitter and I have managed to make a few of these bears. They make wonderful baby shower gifts for someone special.