Monday, July 19, 2010

Fast fix for a too-long top


I recently bought this cute, lightweight tank for super cheap at Wal-Mart but it's too long on me. I seem to have this problem a lot. At first I thought it was just my slightly shorter-than-average torso. But, that coupled with the popularity of extra long shirts is just too much for me. I hate having to hem or shorten clothes. Especially lightweight, swingy tops like this. Unless you have the patience (which I do not; "Patience is a virtue," is my husband's motto, not mine) to be very careful it's too easy to end up with an uneven hem. Enter some elastic and a few pins.


I wrapped some 1/4" elastic I had leftover from another project around my waist and then cut it about an inch shorter. I overlapped it slightly and sewed it together with a zigzag stitch. Next, I used the existing hem as a guide to make the elastic casing. I just ironed the hem up and pinned it in place.


I sewed my new hem closed, pulling the elastic tight as I went. Now the bottom's all gathered up.


If I want to wear the top longer the elastic helps hold it closer to the body. Having recently had a baby I'm not really into flowy tops anymore; they just feel like my maternity tops.


When I want to wear the shirt shorter, I just put the elastic around my hips, or wherever I want the shirt to fall, and then I get this fun bubble effect. Everything took about ten minutes to complete. Getting my husband to take some pictures took longer than the sewing.

1 comment:

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

Having it come in at the hips like that is flattering! Good job!