Friday, July 9, 2010

Almost-a-quilt baby blanket

I recently finished making my first almost-a-quilt baby blanket. Since there isn't any insulation between the layers, I think it's technically a coverlet. It does have a quilt top and binding though with one of those fuzzy, crazy soft baby materials on the back side.

Before I started my husband suggested I make a template so I could easily figure out how many pieces I needed to cut in each size and color, and how I wanted to arrange them. I'm glad I actually listened to his advice this time because making the template on my computer took much longer that I had initially imagined it would. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to fit my pieces into my finished blanket size.

After I placed all of my pieces in my template I filled them in with similar colors so that I could decide where I wanted to place my fabric pieces. There were so many brown pieces that I left them white in my template; I didn't want to waste a lot of ink when I printed my template. Then when I cut out my fabric pieces I just checked them off on my printed template so I didn't cut too many or too few pieces of each fabric.

I just made this template using Microsoft Word. All my squares/rectangles were 1/10 scale. For example, I wanted to use 8" fabric squares so I made my template squares 0.8". Then, all I had to do was count how many brown 8" squares I had in my template and then cut out the same number from my fabric.

I used 8" squares, 6" squares, and rectangles that measured 8" x 4" and 6" x 3".

All the planning paid off though because this was one of a very few projects that was completed without a hitch. "Measure twice, cut once," indeed. Here's the finished product, full of love and cuddly warmth for my little guy to enjoy this winter, or whenever he needs some extra comfort.

No comments: