Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sauteed spinach with roasted garlic

My family loves garlic, including my little guy (he's 8 1/2 months old). Is that unusual? Do your children like garlic?










My little guy loves new and interesting flavor combinations and we're constantly surprised at what he's not only willing, but excited to eat. Spinach on it's own isn't very exciting (at least not to me) so I thought I'd add a little roasted garlic. He's eaten other things cooked with raw garlic and liked them but I like the smoothness and carmelization that roasting lends to garlic.


So yesterday I roasted thirteen heads of garlic. I know, that's a lot. But like I said, around here we love garlic. The whole house smelled like garlic all day long. It was a little strange at 7:00 am but it was absolutely mouth-watering around lunch time. Plus, I'd recently bought three pounds of garlic at Sam's Club. I had to do something that would use up a lot of it before it started to sprout. I have to say, out of fifteen heads that I sliced in half, only two of them were bad inside. That's a lot more success than I ever have with garlic from the grocery store where half the heads I purchase have green sprouts inside.

I sauteed a large bag of baby spinach with in a little olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once the spinach started to wilt I added the roasted garlic from a while head of garlic. The whole thing took less than ten minutes. Once the spinach was cool I ran it through my Cuisinart food processor, making sure most of the cooking liquid stayed in the pan.


Some of the sauteed spinach went straight into my little guy's dinner bowl and the rest of it was deposited in my baby food freezer trays. I ended up with eight 1 oz. servings and a little leftover for lunch today.


I guess you could say he liked it. My husband liked it too. We might need to make some more for us to enjoy next time.

No comments: