Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Argyle Stenciled Bodysuit


A little while back I bought a bunch of plain white bodysuits for my little guy. It's taken a long time to decide what I wanted to do with them. I finally decided to whip up a quick freezer paper stencil using one of my favorite patterns: argyle. I think little boys look so cute in argyle. This is a more classic pattern that the other shirt I did.


I started by designing my pattern. The two horizontal lines mark the extreme points on the bodysuit where the stencil could go. I decided on the length of each diamond and then marked the mid-point of each. That's where I measured for the width of each diamond. All I had to do next was line up my ruler between the points of each vertical and horizontal line and connect them.


After I painted my diamonds, I used the end of the paintbrush handle to draw my dotted lines. I really like the contrast between the bright yellow, navy blue, and avocado green.


In my haste to start painting I forgot to put some freezer paper inside the shirt in case the paint bled. And sure enough, some of the green pain bled through to the back of the bodysuit. To fix the mistake I also painted my stencil on the back, lining up the green diamonds over the bleed through. I really like the back. I guess sometimes mistakes can lead to a better finished product.


I love how this project turned out. I think my little guy looks so cute in his "new" shirt. I have done several stenciling projects using different methods, but this was my first time using freezer paper. If you haven't tried it yet you have to get some. I loved it. It was super easy to iron my stencil in place and I was able to reuse it on the back. It made for nice crisp lines too. Give it a try and see what you can come up with.

This project can also be seen on the Tea Rose Home Link Party.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm loving this argyle shirt! I'm having a boy in December and have some plain onesies that would be perfect for this. I've also seen one where they used felt.
Bytheway I found your blog through Honeybear Lane and think you are amazing! Thanks for the inspiration!

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com